WRAPS (Williams Recovery of All Perishable Surplus)
WRAPS (Williams Recovery of All Perishable Surplus) delivers surplus food from Driscoll, Whitman’s (Paresky), and Mission dining halls to local food shelters. This organization does not require much time commitment since there are no formal meetings, and most importantly, you have all the power to decide when and where you want to perform a recovery. So, grab your friends, and help deliver food and smiles to our community!
- To sign up generally for WRAPS and provide some information about your schedule and interests, please complete the following form: learning-in-action.williams.edu/opportunities/wraps/sign-up-form/.
- To sign up for specific shifts (packaging or driving/pick-ups), please sign up at: https://campuskitchens.volunteerhub.com/lp/ckwc/events. All packaging shifts are open to new volunteers. If you are interested in becoming a shift leader, look on Volunteer Hub for the next opportunity.
Instructions for WRAPS Volunteers: 2017-2018
(Note: ALL student drivers must be approved by the College to drive college vehicles. Please visit facilities.williams.edu/cars-and-drivers/college-vehicles/ and learning-in-action.williams.edu/getting-there/college-cars/ for details. Driving records need to be updated every year so please be sure to do this before signing up for a college car. The Center for Learning in Action will be checking to be sure all information is up-to-date before releasing vehicle keys to student drivers.)
WRAPS runs throughout the year. Food is picked up from Driscoll and Mission and delivered to Paresky refrigerator (indicated for WRAPS) on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. On Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights, food is packaged in the Bake Shop, an area within Paresky Kitchen. On Fridays, deliveries are made to Mohawk Forest and the ROOTS Teen Center, and are supplemented with fruits and vegetables from Wild Oats. The three roles (food pick-up on-campus, packaging, and delivery off-campus) are divided among volunteers, and total time commitment for each is approximately 1-2 hours.
On weekdays, keys and mileage slips can be picked up from Colin Ovitsky in the Center for Learning in Action office (Brooks House) between 3:00-5:00pm, and should be returned by 10:00am the following day. Friday, Saturday and Sunday drivers will need to work out a key exchange among themselves, and Sunday drivers should return keys by 10:00am on Monday. Don’t forget to fill out the mileage slips!
On-Campus: Between 5:00-8:00pm, call Mission Park (x2281) and Driscoll (x2238) to see if there is any food available. If there is food available, retrieve the van from the lowest level of the parking garage behind the ’62 Center. Drive to the two dining hall facilities where the loading dock is located, enter the kitchen, and ask a member of the staff for assistance in locating food set aside for WRAPS.
To Mohawk Forest and ROOTS Teen Center (see below for maps):
Mohawk Forest Blvd
North Adams, MA
ROOTS Teen Center
43 Eagle St
North Adams, MA
On-Campus pick-up and delivery of surplus food:
Click here to sign up for 2017-18 pick-up shifts!
- Retrieve keys to van from Center for Learning in Action.
- Between 5:00-8:00pm, call Mission Park (x2281) and Driscoll (x2238) to see if there is any food available.
- If there is food available, retrieve the van from the lowest level of the parking garage behind the ’62 Center.
- Drive to the two dining hall facilities where the loading dock is located, enter the kitchen, and ask a member of the staff for assistance in locating food set aside for WRAPS
- Pick up HACCP form for recording time and temperature of the items you are picking up. Have a Dining Staff member sign off on the sheet to say that they were cooled properly.
- Load trays of food in the van, and drive to Paresky loading dock.
- Bring trays of food to lower level Paresky kitchen, and place them in refrigerator labeled for WRAPS (specific section within refrigerator labeled as well). If help is needed within kitchen, a staff member should be able to offer assistance.
- Leave completed HACCP form in folder in WRAPS locker.
- Return van to garage behind ’62 Center, and drop off keys at Center for Learning in Action or to the next driver (if contacted by fellow student).
Packaging of food:
Click here to sign up for 2017-18 packaging shifts!
- Wash hands and put on gloves, apron and hairnet.
- Clear the large wooden table in the Bakeshop to prep for packaging.
- Get trays of food labelled “WRAPS” from Cooler #4 (middle cooler).
- Get clamshells from the kitchen office (if you’re facing the elevator, go all the way to your left) and utensils from the rack above the large sinks.
- Package food into clamshells: try to balance meat, starch, and veggies. Try to do it assembly-line style.
- Label clamshells with the food inside: labels are on the island, pens are usually in the office. Also attach a Campus Kitchen label.
- Get WRAPS storage bins from LOCATION.
- Load clamshells into the bins. Label each bin with a sticker indicating the number of meals inside.
- Load the bins onto carts and wheel them into the freezer (Cooler #5).
- Leave dirty containers and utensils on the metal rack near the kitchen weighing station/dishwashing area. Throw out foil pans.
- Fill a green bucket with soapy solution and a red bucket with sanitizing solution (by the sinks), find clean rags, and wipe off all surfaces you worked on first with green, then with red.
- Hygiene Requirements:
- Gloves must be worn when handling food.
- Long hair must be tied back and a hairnet must be worn.
- Wear long pants, sleeves and closed-toe shoes.
- Leave personal belongings, coats, etc., outside room if possible, or in corner.
- If you are sick, don’t package food!
Off-Campus delivery of packaged frozen meals:
- Retrieve key to Dodd kitchen from Center for Learning in Action, along with keys to van.
- Retrieve van from the lowest level of the parking garage behind the ’62 Center.
- Drive to Dodd kitchen loading dock (on the side of Dodd House)
- Open the door to the kitchen with key, and retrieve frozen packaged meals from freezer (freezer is to your immediate right when you enter the kitchen).
- Load meals into van, and close the door to the kitchen and freezer.
- Call respective delivery locations with estimated arrival and approximate number of meals.
- Drive to locations:
- Mohawk Forest: Drop off meals at Community Building
- ROOTS Teen Center:
- Return to campus. Return van to garage behind ’62 Center, and drop off keys at Center for Learning in Action or to the next driver (if contacted by fellow student).
For more information, please visit and (Like) our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CampusKitchenatWilliams/.
If you have any further questions, problems before or during delivery, or any issues at all, please do not hesitate to contact Colin Ovitsky ([email protected]), Eleanor Lustig ([email protected]), Michael Chen ([email protected]) or Andrew Bloniarz ([email protected]).