Overview: The Sentinels Summer Fellowship supports student projects focused on contemporary issues in U.S. economic or social policy, including but not limited to regulation, inequality, community and regional development, and/or processes and powers of American government.
Terms: This competitive fellowship provides a stipend of $4,400, a $500 field research expense budget and on-campus housing to cover 8 weeks of research and related fieldwork from mid-June to mid-August 2018. Projects must be guided by a project advisor, preferably a Williams faculty member, who will commit to regular oversight of the Sentinel Fellow’s work throughout the research period.
Eligibility: Open to rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors.
Applicants should submit the following information to the Center for Learning in Action via email to [email protected] by April 10th, 2018:
- Research proposal (not to exceed 2.5 pages)
- Name and contact information of Project Advisor
- Name of an additional Williams Faculty member willing to serve as reference
The research proposal should include the following:
- the topic and key questions which will be addressed in the investigation
- the nature of the research work involved (the means by which the questions will be addressed)
- the expected outcomes
- how the applicant’s background and prior studies helped prepare him/her for this project
Those receiving fellowships will be notified by April 21st.
Students awarded a Sentinels Fellowship will be expected to produce a report by August 20, 2018 as well as an abstract to be posted on the Sentinels webpage.
Please note that Sentinels funding does not support unpaid internships, business planning projects or non-U.S. policy research. Proposals involving fieldwork are encouraged.
For more information, contact Dr. Paula Consolini ([email protected]), Director of the Center for Learning in Action or other Sentinels Selection Committee members: Professor Cathy Johnson, Professor Nicole Mellow and Professor Stephen Sheppard.
Abstracts and samples of past Sentinels reports can be viewed at: