The Coalition works to achieve its mission by:
- Providing a public place for the community: Monthly meetings averaging over sixty participants are held the second Friday of each month, from September through May, at the First Baptist Church of North Adams. These meetings are open to all. Each year of forums begins in September with a public hearing offering the community an opportunity to help set the Coalition’s year long agenda. The Coalition News, mailed and e-mailed to over a thousand local citizens and organizations every month, includes articles about regional issues written by community members and Coalition staff. The Coalition also produces a monthly TV show about topics that will be presented at the monthly forum.
- Communities Mobilizing for a Change on Alcohol (CMCA): CMCA is a multi-year project to reduce underage drinking by reducing teenagers access to alcohol and by establishing strong community norms against underage drinking in North Berkshire County.
- Building strong neighborhoods: The Northern Berkshire Community Coalition provides support, technical assistance, and leadership development for area neighborhoods through Northern Berkshire Neighbors. Northern Berkshire Neighbors works to engage residents in recognizing and addressing neighborhood and community issues through a variety of programs including neighborhood meetings and community events.
- Promoting positive youth development: UNITY (United, Neighboring, Interdependent, Trusted Youth), the Coalition’s youth development program, has been offering innovative, youth-driven programs since 1994. Two staff serve as adult advisors to a variety of programming that involves students ages 14-19 from all over the northern Berkshire area. Current projects include the Grooove concert series, a Teen Writing Workshop, the Youth Leadership Program, and the “411 in the 413″ Youth Conference.
Anyone who works or lives in the Northern Berkshire area and is interested in the work of the Northern Berkshire Community Coalition is considered an affiliate of the Coalition. Coalition affiliation has included people of the Northern Berkshire community representing human services, businesses, clergy, higher education, local schools, local and state government, and local citizens. Voluntary contributions to help defray expenses are requested, but they do not affect affiliation with the Northern Berkshire Community Coalition.
The Coalition welcomes Williams student volunteers, interns and academic research partners. We have been very successful working with Williams students, especially during the summer, and look forward to that opportunity again!
- Many opportunities are available for summer interns that include:
* Planning and delivery of National Night Out
* Continue to develop a farmer’s market for our Mass in Motion Initiative
* Help to organize our Summer Neighborhood Basketball program
* Help us to analyze data from a variety of surveys
* Build programming for teen-led projects (in summer 2013 we hosted a summer slam camp for writers)
* Help produce our lovable community product currently planned as a community wide lip-dub
- Ongoing assistance might include:
* Developing healthy markets / convenience stores for our Mass in Motion Initiative
* Assist in evaluation and administration of programs like our Community Outreach Training
* Support the efforts of Northern Berkshire Neighbors
* Write articles for Coalition newsletter
* Assist with producing social media messages
* Assist in administration of local strategy teams to reduce underage substance use.
- One-time events might include:
* Assisting with our annual Martin Luther King Day celebrations (on the day of the holiday)
* Assist with walk to school days planned for local schools
* Serve as chaperones and bus captains for annual county wide youth conference (411 in the 413) held in April of each year.
* Assist with medication take back days.
61 Main St, Suite 218
North Adams, MA 01247