Interested in community service? Experiential learning in the curriculum?
Options at Williams are wide-ranging. Below, we list the Center’s major programs and projects beginning with those directed by staff, followed by those run by students. Below them, you’ll find specific opportunities provided by outside organizations and other on-campus hosts.
Current staff-directed, student-run, outside organization and other on-campus fieldwork opportunities are organized by sector, work type, and time frame of involvement, in the sidebar to the right. A sampler of options is available here. Below that sidebar, we provide a categorized guide to community organizations through which additional opportunities may be available.
For further information about the various ways in which our opportunities are categorized, please visit http://learning-in-action.williams.edu/community/glossary.
For upcoming events and late-breaking opportunities, please visit the Center for Learning in Action Events page.
Questions? Call or email us at 413-597-4588 or [email protected].
- Local Education Outreach
- Adventures in Learning
- Alumni Reunion Service Projects
- Berkshire Arts & Technology (BART) Charter School Tutoring
- Break Out Trips (formerly Alternative Spring Breaks)
- Class of 1959 Teach in New York Winter Study Program
- CLiA Community Outreach Summer Internship
- CLiA Community Outreach Associate (Academic Year Position)
- CLiA Office Assistant
- Food Security Programs
- Give It Up!
- Sentinels Summer Research Fellowship
- Sixth Grade College Visit
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
- Where Am I?!
- Williams in Africa
- Williams Poverty Initiative
The following programs and partnerships are coordinated by student leaders, with support from the the Center for Learning in Action, Lehman Community Engagement, and other departments. Work-study and volunteer positions are available, as are student leadership positions. We have opportunities to serve from 8:30am to 9pm. Follow the links below, or contact [email protected] for more information.
Groups Active in 2015-2016 Academic Year
- Berkshire Farm Center
- Brayton Tutoring Program
- Converging Worlds
- Eph Buddies
- Global Initiatives Group
- Great Day of Service
- Healing Hands
- Lehman Community Engagement
- Matriculate (formerly Leaders Working)
- Mohawk Forest Mentoring Program
- Partners in Health: Engage
- Peer Health
- Pownal Pen Pals
- Purple Bike Coalition
- Rape and Sexual Assault Network (RASAN)
- Reclaim Childhood
- Sexual Wellness Advocacy Group (SWAG)
- Students for Education Reform
- Sustainable Growers
- Sweet Brook Nursing Home Volunteers
- Williams Homeless Outreach (WHO)
- Williams Medical Corps
- Williams Speaks
- Willy Good Wood: Student Woodworking Initiative
- Winter Blitz
- WISHES (Williams Initiative for Student Health in Elementary Schools)
- WRAPS (Williams Recovery of All Perishable Surplus)
Groups Last Active in 2014-2015 Academic Year
- Active Minds
- Amnesty International
- Darfur Cookie Project
- The Society of the Griffins
- Volunteer Trail Crew
Groups Last Active in 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Berkshire Food Project
- Berkshire Humane Society Humane Race
- Habitat for Humanity
- Higher Ground, Inc.
Outside Organizations & Other On-Campus Opportunities
Below, you’ll find entities offering to host students for volunteering, course fieldwork or in some cases, paid work. Please contact the listed liaison or the Center for Learning in Action (413-597-4588 or [email protected]) for more information.
- Berkshire Family and Individual Resources (BFAIR)
- Berkshire Humane Society
- Berkshire Immigrant Center
- Elizabeth Freeman Center
- Friends of Milne Library
- Friendship Center Food Pantry
- Girl Scouts of Central and Western Massachusetts
- Math Riddles
- Meals on Wheels
- MS Support Foundation
- The Mount: Edith Wharton’s Home
- Northern Berkshire Community Coalition (NBCC)
- The Nutrition Center
- Pittsfield Prevention Partnership / Berkshire United Way
- Rules Change Project
- Turner House
- United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of Berkshire County
- Timberlawn Elementary School
- The Wilderness Society
- Williams College Children’s Center
- Williamstown Chamber of Commerce
- Williamstown Community Preschool
- Williamstown Historical Society