Evening Homework Help at Williams
7-8:30 PM Greylock Hall
Student coordinators (2010-’20):
Mt Greylock contact:
School website for announcement and teacher websites: www.mgrhs.org
The Sunday evening program at Williams is a relaxed yet focused environment for motivated Mt Greylock (MG) high school students to receive homework assistance. Williams students serve 1-1 (or in small groups) as homework buddies to MG students in grades 9-12. MG students are referred by school guidance to the program and must come each week with homework. Tutoring occurs in all subjects including SAT prep. Sessions occur on Sunday evenings from 7-8:30 pm in Greylock Hall. The program is coordinated by the Williams Center and Williams students Adly Templeton ‘20 and Kevin Coakley ‘20.
Guidelines for tutors:
- Coordinators send out weekly reminders to Williams tutors and Greylock students
- Coordinators bring weekly snacks. Save receipts, this can be reimbursed through the WC at Greylock.
- Coordinators reserves space in Greylock Hall for the semester
- All tutors must complete CORI form with representative of the school
- Tutors are asked to commit for at least one semester. Consistency is key for successfully pairing and for building a trusting relationship and an understanding of content areas.
- There is no tutoring during Williams College breaks, exam periods, and public school vacations
- All tutors must exchange contact information with tutees so that you can alert each other in the event of cancellations. It is up to the tutee to let their tutor know if they cannot make it on any evening and vice versa.
- Tutors should help steer tutee through homework, not give the answers.
- Tutors should not help with take-home exams unless written permission is given by the teacher.
- MG teacher websites are often a good resource. If you have questions, please feel free to email the teacher directly or ask Kaatje White
- Please contact Kaatje White immediately in the event of any problems or behavioral concerns.
- Reminder, these MG students are underage high school students, please do not invite them to college parties or to your dorm rooms. However by all means encourage them to attend concerts, lectures, sporting events and other activities on campus open to the public
Guidelines for Mt Greylock students:
- Please sign-up in guidance before attending. You will then be contacted by the Williams student tutor coordinator once a tutor is found in your subject area. No drop-ins!
- Tutees should bring all textbook/materials AND assignments to complete homework assignments.
- Tutors may not help with take-home exams unless written permission is given by the teacher.
- A semester to year commitment is generally assumed for the program. Please let coordinators know via text, email or phone call if you do not plan to come on a regular basis or plan to miss a week.
- Please let guidance or Kaatje White, director of The Williams Center at Greylock @ Greylock know if there are any problems or concerns you have with the program or your tutor. Kaatje’s email is [email protected]
Thanks so much and enjoy the year!