Science Fellows (WES) – paid position
- Time Commitment: 1-3 hours per week
- Where: Williamstown Elementary School
- Work Hours: Flexible, during elementary school day (Mon-Fri 8:30am-3:00pm)
- Contact: Tracy Baker-White
- Common Application
Do you like sea turtles, owls, frogs? Have you ever played Sink or Float? If you answered yes, the Science Fellows program is for you! You will work under the direction of the classroom teacher and lab instructor in one-on-one and small group settings with children in Kindergarten, First, or Second grades. Williams helpers often read aloud to students covering topics like Animals in their Habitats, States of Matter, Life Cycles in Nature, How the Solar System Works, Simple Machines, etc.
All lessons take place at Williamstown Elementary, which is within walking distance of the College (approximately 5 to 10 minutes). No science background necessary. For any further questions, email Tracy Baker-White.
Reflection & Testimonials
- “I learned the most from interacting one-on-one, or in small groups with kids. I really enjoyed playing and answering questions.”
- “I learned how to communicate with kids. I also learned how to help them. I was actively involved with them during the labs.”
- “I came to realize how difficult it is to work with young children, because they have short attention spans — something I would not have realized by simply observing. It demonstrated how draining, yet rewarding teaching can be.”
- “I learned about classroom management. So much fun!”
- “The program is wonderful and I really enjoyed the experience.”