Partnership Coordinator, Renee Schiek
Director, Elementary Outreach, Jennifer Swoap
The Center for Learning in Action supports collaborations between Lanesborough Elementary and Williams College.
Established in the fall of 2015, the Lanesborough Elementary and Williams partnership support field studies to the Williams campus and partners affiliated with Williams. In the 2019-2020 school year, nearly every grade participated in programming sponsored by Williams College Center for Learning in Action. Activities included the BioEYES science program, general classroom assistance, community engagement experiences and financial support for field trips to Images Cinema, Hopkins Forest and Sheep Hill. For more information check out our partnership website. Under the Collaboration link, you will find information about the current programs and how to access opportunities. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.
Lanesborough Elementary School coordinator for Williams Elementary Outreach
Co-Curricular and Additional Academic Support
- Classroom help – Williams students assist as needed to the classroom teachers. This collaboration has been limited in the past, and ways to expand it are being explored.
- BioEYES – Williams students along with Williams zebrafish researcher come to Lanesborough Elementary to teach 3rd-grade students about zebrafish over a week in January. All fish, microscopes, journals, and materials provided.
Field Studies and Special Academic Programs
Williams CLiA supports many “field studies”—one-day and short-format activities at Williams College and partner locations. Highlights include:
- Images Cinema – Special showing of a feature film for 6th Grade students. Past showings included “Step” and “He Named Me Malala.”
- Hopkins Forest – Immersive field trips exploring the forest with Williams College student leaders. Topics support the elementary school science curriculum presented in an age-appropriate manner.
- Sheep Hill, Williamstown Rural Lands Foundation– Hands-on field trips exploring a historic working farm and its property. Topics support the elementary school science curriculum presented in an age-appropriate manner.
- Williams College – Past field trips included a planetarium show at the Hopkins Observatory and a step-dance workshop at the ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance. Other departments and locations may be available for field trip programs.
- Summer Science Lab – Week-long summer program for rising 5th and 6th graders. Held at Williams College Chemistry Labs and led by two Williams Chemistry Professors with Williams student science majors serving as group leaders. Bus transportation available. Need-based scholarships provided.
- CLiA Berkshire Break-out Trip – A one-day event in March with Williams students coming to Lanesborough Elementary School. Past activities included classroom support and activities (writing assignment help, math games, science activities or cooperative games) and a mini-science fair.
Please contact Renee Schiek for more specific information or to share ideas and questions.